Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows    $$$$





PG-13
129 Minutes
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Jared Harris
Director: Guy Ritchie


            It’s not very often that a sequel is as good as the original film. In this case I think the second outing for this grand re-imaging of the legendary super sleuth team of Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and Watson (Jude Law) is even better than the first.

            The story opens just days before Watson and his fiancé Mary (Kelly Reilly) are to wed. Watson arrives at 221 Baker St. and finds Holmes immersed in a conspiracy theory of the grandest scale. He has linked the latest series of violent events in Europe to the machinations of a single man. Professor Moriarty.

            Not to be put off from the events of his scheduled marriage, Watson dismisses the matter as the two of them embark on the last adventure of a single man - The bachelor party. While Watson drinks, smokes cigars, and gambles Sherlock is involved in a running brawl to save his best lead on the Moriarty project.          

            Sherlock survives the battle. Watson survives the last hurrah. And in the morning, despite his feelings that a beautiful partnership is about to be destroyed, Sherlock safely delivers Watson to his wedding.

            Then, after assassins are sent to kill the newlyweds, Watson agrees to join Sherlock on one last case together and they set off to stop Moriarty.
 

            I’m not sure if there is such a thing as a “perfect” movie, but I felt that this one came pretty close. There is a definite chemistry between Downey and Law that has given a new life to these characters. The interaction between the two actors alone is enough for me to recommend this movie.

            Sometimes the look of the film sets it apart. This series is an excellent example of that. The filmography adds depth to the story telling taking place here. It includes the tone / tint of the film itself to the fast-stop editing of the action sequences. (My apologies for not knowing the technical terms to describe this better – I just know that the way the film looks made the story as a whole even better.)

            The writing is brilliant. And the story itself is the very heart Sherlock Holmes as a series. “A Game of Shadows” aptly describes the rivalry between Holmes and Moriarty. Most importantly it describes the thrilling move, counter-move plot of this film. I love watching two intellectual giants maneuvering against one another for supremacy.

            Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows easily earned my top rating. The action scenes scream out for a full size screen and the bright images you’ll get at a first run theater. Same is true for the sound system at the cine-plex. See it, hear it; big and loud. And my response to anyone asking me if they should wait to see it as a matinee is: Are you insane? See it right away. Then see it again as a matinee. And then buy it when it comes out on DVD.  I’m mostly convinced that this will assume a place in my Top 10 Favorite Movies of all time.

            So, did I like it?    Yeah, you could say that.
 

            Randy’s Rating System

$$$$   = Full Price    See this movie right away and pay full price, it’s worth it.
$$$     = Matinee      Catch this as a matinee or other discounted showing.
$$        = Discount     Wait until this movie reaches a discount theater near you.
$          = Rental         Wait until this movie reaches your local video rental outlet.
0          = No Sale       Don’t see this movie at any price.


5 comments:

  1. If I ever went to the movies, I'd probably watch that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see this movie, but I can never get a sitter! I'll have to wait and see it on our home theater system (not too bad, it's a 50" plasma) and hopefully I'll get the full effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still learning from you, but I'm making my way to the top as well. I definitely love reading everything that is posted on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!
    Bogs Women's Classic High Tuscany Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review of the movie. Downey Jr makes a very interesting Sherlock Holmes.

    I liked the first movie. I need to check this one out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete