Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Movie Review - The Fifth Wave


The Fifth Wave $$$

 

PG-13
112 Minutes
Starring: Chole Grace Moretz, Nick Robinson, Alex Roe, and Gabriella Lopez.  
Directors: J Blakeson.
 

Apocalyptic stories are my favorite. I imagine I have seen more movies and read more books of this sort than most folks. That being said, the trailer for this film did not excite me. I thought it looked like pretty much any other movie in this genre. And I was right. It was entertaining, but not original.
        

            This is how I rated The Fifth Wave.

1. Fun – The movie moved slower than what I expected from the trailer. There is less focus on burning buildings, crashing cars, and blind panic and more time spent on relationships. If I hadn’t been expecting the high-action content of most films in this genre I would have enjoyed it more. I gave The Fifth Wave a half MB.

2. Story – Take concepts from a dozen of the most popular apocalyptic movies that have been made and put them together as a single movie and you have The Fifth Wave. Scene after scene I was constantly reminded of other films. I found that virtually everything in the film has been done before in another movie. I gave The Fifth Wave a half MB for a good storyline borrowed from other sources.

3. Technical – The special effects were good, the sound track was good, the direction was good. A solid outing for all things technical in The Fifth Wave. I gave the film a full MB. 

4. Acting – I don’t expect any Oscar nominations for acting, but I felt that most of the cast did a good job in their roles. Chloe Grace Moretz was solid in the lead role, but not exceptional. I found myself rooting for her all through the film. Evan Walker (Alex Roe) was my favorite character. I gave The Fifth Wave a full MB for acting.  

By the numbers, The Fifth Wave gets 3 Movie Bucks. See it as a matinee and enjoy the slower-paced relationship film.
      


                        Randy’s Rating System

$$$$   = Full Price    See this movie right away and pay full price, it’s worth it.
$$$     = Matinee      Catch this as a matinee or other discounted showing.
$$        = Discount     Wait until this movie reaches a discount theater near you.
$          = Rental         Wait until this movie reaches your local video rental outlet.
0          = No Sale       Don’t see this movie at any price.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment